Tuesday 10th May 2022; Engineering New Quantum Devices Workshop - a Community Engagement Workshop
Come and explore the current state of research and the industrial landscape within the quantum technologies and engineering communities.
About this event
The planned workshop aims to bring together individuals from both the quantum and engineering communities to explore the current state of research that utilises skills from across both disciplines, then reflect upon the future direction of the interface between quantum technologies and engineering. Particular consideration will be given to explore how best the EPSRC can support the community to deliver maximum impacts across the UK R&D landscape and enable economic, societal, and environmental benefits.
EPSRC will be holding a workshop in May 2022 with the aim of bringing the quantum technologies and engineering communities together. This workshop will explore and assess the current state of the research and industrial landscape at this interface between the Quantum Technologies and Engineering communities and highlight how best the community can be supported to deliver positive impact across various sectors and the UK R&D landscape.
The workshop will consist of:
- Keynote talks from community leaders and EPSRC.
- Facilitated discussion sessions around common challenges across the quantum technologies and engineering research ecosystem, and emerging fundamental and applicationbased research areas for engineering new quantum devices research
- Networking opportunities
This event will be of interest to researchers working in both quantum technologies, and engineering fields with knowledge, experience, and interest in the interface between both sectors and particular focus towards application-based research areas for engineering new quantum devices research. Colleagues from industry and the third sector are also encouraged to apply in order to foster relationships between industrial needs and fundamental engineering new quantum devices research, as well as supporting EPSRC to ensure non-academic drivers are reflected in future priorities and scoping activities.
The event will be in an accessible format, offering opportunities to attend online or in-person in Manchester (venue to be confirmed). Please note there is no funding associated with this activity.
The overarching objectives of the workshops are:
- To assess the current state of the research and industrial landscape at the interface between the quantum technologies and engineering communities.
- To identify the key research challenges and stakeholders relevant to both the engineering and quantum technologies communities and the opportunities to explore at this interface.
- To consider the future direction the EPSRC's quantum technologies and engineering themes could take with strategies to best serve the interface between quantum and engineering.
- Provide an opportunity for quantum technologies and engineering researchers to network, to enhance community awareness of common goals and research challenges between two research communities.
To apply, please submit an Expression of Interest form following the instructions in the call document linked below.
- Expression of Interest opens: 09:00 on Monday 7th March
- Expression of Interest closes: 16:00 on Monday 4th April.
All Expressions of Interest will be assessed by an EPSRC internal panel and in the event of oversubscription an appropriate number of participants will be selected to attend. Successful applicants will be notified by Friday 8th of April.
Details on how to apply to attend can be found here
EPSRC - Equality Impact Assessment
Engineering New Quantum Devices workshop - Call Document
First published: 16 March 2022